When it comes to home renovations, you might wonder which is the best flooring option out there.
Is it vinyl?
Traditional hardwood flooring or laminate?
Do you need waterproof solutions?
In this article, we’ll present the pros and cons of waterproof laminates to make your decision easier.
More than 90% of the laminate floor is environmentally friendly wood pulp from which the substrate is made. The top of the substrate has a decorative layer that is color-retaining and UV-resistant. The decorative layer is protected from abrasion and scratches by a special protective layer.
Traditionally, laminate flooring fell victim to water very easily due to its hygroscopic nature pulling water towards the floor elements’ core. If you pour out water on a standard laminate and it is not dried quickly enough, it might get fractured, its edges become damaged, and lift up. The flooring industry experimented with different coatings and materials to increase the waterproof feature, which leads us to today’s perfectly waterproof products.
The benefits of waterproof laminate
● Quick and easy installation: Modern laminate floor elements can be laid down using a click and lock system, which is designed to make the process easy. It can be installed without any special preparation. You can even lay the laminate floor on the surface of the existing flooring.
● Water repellency: The newest waterproof technologies guarantee laminates’ high tolerance of liquids. They are not simply repellent enough to be suitable for moping, but there are already bathroom-compatible laminates too. If installed correctly, they behave similarly to cold cover tiles.
● Easier cleaning: As we mentioned before, waterproof laminates can be cleaned using water and other liquids preventing stains to remain on the floor.
● Long service life: Due to being highly durable, the best laminates have high abrasion resistance. There are different durability categories, which you might want to check, especially if you intend to use it in an office space.
● Beautiful design: The laminate comes in warm and extremely varied colors making them the most versatile flooring option.
● Suitability: This type of flooring is available for basements, kitchens, and high-traffic areas.
Although DIY flooring is becoming more and more popular, there are a few limitations that you might want to consider before jumping into a renovation without professional support. If there is not enough room for dilatation, the pressure between the laminates increases and they might end up giving creaking sounds when stepped on. This is especially true if the floor beneath it is not prepared well, and has height differences or ‘waves’ in it.
The best way to keep the waterproof capabilities of the laminate flooring is to ask for professional help. Zelta Floor & Design is here for you in case you need flooring support in Toronto, Canada. We help you plan the flooring design and install the laminates to maximize their water repellency in all the required rooms. Contact us for more information and check our instagram for our projects portfolio.